Profile
Background
Team
News
Events
Recognition
Affiliations
 
 
 

NEWS

  • "Past Forward" - Preservation Wayne Honors WSU & CDPA with 2008 Renovation Award

    The new home for Wayne State University's Public Safety Department is so different from the current building on Hancock they can hardly be compared. An old residence, expanded several times with creaky floors and water in the basement, can not compete with the new technologically advanced Public Safety facility.

    The "new" facility is a renovation/restoration of a 1924 historic terra-cotta building, which to look on the outside, speaks to an era gone by for the City of Detroit. Originally constructed in 1924, the building at 6050 Cass Avenue was built as a Speedometer Factory and Showroom. The building, much like its renovated use today, incorporated rich finish materials and craftsmanship in the public areas and garage, shop or factory areas in the rear.

    When CDPA Architects first began work on this project, it was plain to see the historical detail on the exterior of the building and imagine the look and feel that could be realized as part of the Cass Avenue streetscape once restored. What was unknown to a degree was the level of detail that was hidden on the interior of the building constructed more than 80 years ago.

    Years of renovations and various subsequent uses of the building had covered much of the buildings' interior character. Once that history was discovered the vision for the New Public Safety Facility came to life. Some of the features that were regenerated to give the building back some of its original 1924 feel are: The buildings' central grand stair, a large skylight, above the central stair and clerestory, rich wood wall treatments, marble wall treatments, terrazzo flooring, ornamental plaster column capitals and cornices, and high ceilings.

  • CDPA Moves Forward In 2009 With Public Safety Projects

    MILFORD TOWNSHIP --
    Expansion and renovation of Fire Station No. 1 constructed in 1954. New 4-bay Apparatus Room with living quarters and locker rooms above. New training room and offices provided in existing structure.

    BLOOMFIELD TOWNSHIP --
    As a part of its $21 million civic center capital improvement program, Bloomfield Township has commissioned CDPA Architects to provide a new 8-lane indoor gun range along with a new central fire headquarters facility. Instrumental to the new range will allow for pistol and rifle training.

    MARQUETTE TOWNSHIP --
    New 17,600 sq. ft. fire station 4-bay Apparatus Room with training tower, administrative offices, living quarters and locker rooms co-located with new Township Hall.

Wayne State University Public Safety Building